Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Farewell, my sweet routine

I never realize how much I love my daily routine until it is taken away from me. Don't get me wrong, I like change. I believe in it and need it to move forward in life but in the midst of it, I struggle. Let me set this up by saying I am in the middle of a move and there is much uncertainty on when and where this move will end. I'm pretty sure the house we are closing on will be ours soon, but it seems that every power in the universe is fighting against us and changing the battle plan daily. My routine is kaput! We (five of us and two guinea pigs) are living in a hotel room with all of our earthly belongings sitting in a moving truck in the parking lot, racking up enormous fees daily. We ( I ) opted for the truck instead of storage because we thought the process would be short, and the convenience of "our stuff on wheels" was high on my list since I would be moving almost everything myself (my husband is recooperating from a torn achilles tendon). Well, short has turned into "It's OK. We can deal with it." which has turned into "Are we ever going to get out of here?!?" My days are spent in a quandry, thanking God that I don't have to clean the hotel room and breakfast is served every morning at 5am (I can't sleep very well so the earlier the better) but also hating not having any personal space and no comforts of home, especially in this holiday season. It's not how I would have planned it but change never seems to follow my plans at all. Change is it's own boss, not yielding to my humble requests. I'm pretty sure that a bright and shiny new routine will set foot in my new house soon, but until then I sit, enclosed in four walls, surrounded by five suitcases, two bottles of pepto, guinea pig funk, and paper snowflakes put up on the wall. It is Christmas anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I'm so glad you posted on my blog. I wish I'd known your situation, there's plenty of room here and I'd have loved company for the holidays. It's sure better than a hotel. If you are still in a hotel when you are reading this, I hope you'll email me and give me your phone number so I can tell you how to get here! You're children are beautiful. I've never seen your girls.

    ReplyDelete